How your gastroenterologist in New York, NY, can help when you have stomach pain.
If you are suffering from stomach pain, you are not alone. There are many causes of stomach pain, from mild stomach pain caused by digestive issues to severe stomach pain due to stomach cancer. The question is, when do you see your gastroenterologist? Your GI doctor is an expert at diagnosing and treating the causes of stomach pain.
Dr. Daniel Alpert in New York, NY, offers a wide range of gastroenterology services, including treatment of stomach pain.
So, when should you see your gastroenterologist? If you have any of the following symptoms:
- A fever associated with pain
- Blood in your stools
- Vomiting with or without blood
- Persistent Pain
- Difficulty Swallowing
- Heartburn or stomach burning
- Bloating and abdominal cramping
- Yellowing of your eyes or skin
- Abdominal swelling
- Uncontrollable pain
Mild stomach pain can be caused by easily treatable conditions like these:
- Chronic constipation
- Lactose intolerance
- Food allergies
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
Moderate to severe stomach pain can be caused by more serious conditions like these:
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Cancer, including gastric, pancreatic, biliary, intestinal, or colon
- Bowel Obstruction
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Crohn’s Disease
- Ulcerative colitis
Your GI doctor may recommend some tests to diagnose the cause of your stomach pain. Common tests include:
- Upper endoscopy to examine your esophagus, stomach, and small intestine
- A colonoscopy, to examine your colon and rectum
After a diagnosis is made, your GI doctor will develop a comprehensive treatment plan to ease your pain and make you well again.
You can help ease stomach pain too. There are some simple steps you can take to help you feel better, including:
- Eating a bland diet of bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast (BRAT)
- Eating smaller portions of food, more slowly
- Avoiding smoking and tobacco use
- Avoid drinking alcohol
- Avoid taking aspirin or NSAID medications
If you have stomach pain, don’t suffer. See your gastroenterologist. To learn more about the causes and treatment of stomach pain, call Dr. Daniel Alpert in New York, NY, at (212) 599-7910. Call today.